The Conference Planning Committee invites you to submit an abstract describing a research study, case study or practice innovation in the areas of professional practice, wound, ostomy or continence for poster presentation. Current board members are not eligible to receive cash awards but are still welcomed to submit abstracts for consideration.
- 1st Place ~ $1000*
- 2nd Place ~ $ 500
- 3rd Place ~ $ 250
*NOTE: Award recipients will be solely responsible for all federal, state and/or local taxes associated with the award. In the event, a recipient receives an award for $600 or more, they will be required to sign tax documents (W-9 form) before receiving payment.
A committee composed of representatives from the Conference Planning Committee completes the review process. Abstracts are blind reviewed (meaning the person who reads and rates an abstract does not know the name of the author).
(Posters previously presented will be accepted)
- Abstract submissions are due no later than July 14, 2019 (if changes are requested by the committee they are due July 28, 2019
- Download and review the Abstract-Checklist-Guidelines PDF file.
- Your poster should be self-explanatory.
- You may not use brand and/or company names in your poster. They can be included as a footnote.
- At least one author must register and pay the regular registration fee for attendance to the 2019 SER of the WOCN® Society Annual Conference.
- Each author must provide Conflict of Interest information. The primary author is responsible for collecting and including this information on the abstract submission form. (In the event there are more than 10 authors listed, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an additional COI form.) We cannot make exceptions after the submission date (7/14/19) has passed.
- Abstracts go through a blind review process, so please be sure neither the author(s) name(s) nor facility affiliation(s) appear in the abstract body text.
- Your credentials on your abstract and poster should be listed in the following order:
- Education (highest earned degree first)
- License (Designation required by the state)
- National Certification
- Awards and Honors
- Other certifications
- A PDF copy of your actual poster is required no later than August 18, 2019 to be eligible for judging and a cash prize. This should be submitted to email@example.com.
- If your file is larger than 15 Mb, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions in how to submit it.
- Prior to conference, we will assign a freestanding 4 x 8 feet poster board on which to display your poster. You will be notified of your assigned poster board number. Poster materials should be on a thin poster paper / cardboard or they will likely not stay in position. Poster size should be no more than 3.5 x 7.5 feet.
- You may display only one poster per abstract submission.
- We will provide push pins to attach your poster to the board. If you prefer another method of securing your poster, you will need to provide the supplies.
- Handouts are neither required nor recommended. All posters will be available online for attendees to download and/or print after conference.
- Poster travel tubes and containers must be removed from the poster display area once you hang your poster. We cannot store these for you.
- There will not be access to electricity in the poster session area.
- Presenters are responsible for the set-up and pick-up of their posters at the designated times If your poster is not removed at the designated time, the poster will be discarded. SER of the WOCN® Society does not accept responsibility for missing or discarded posters.
- Consider posting your contact information on your board in the event that other participants would like to ask you more about your research. This may be displayed as a small unlined card (information should be typed) or a business card.
All poster abstracts must convey relevance to the field of wound, ostomy and continence nursing in one of the following areas:
- Practice Innovation
- Case Study Abstracts (3 cases need to be presented)
Abstracts should be brief (300 word limit please) and include:
- Outcomes and Conclusion
The online application for submission provides prompts for the necessary information required to submit an abstract.
Abstract Content and Format
NOTE: All personal or facility identifying information will be redacted before the committee reviews abstracts for acceptance.
Abstracts are brief summaries of the overall goal of an offering and the specific ideas or concepts to be presented, including outcomes and implications for practice.
Abstracts essentially answer four questions:
- What was the problem?
- How did the author(s) solve it?
- What was discovered? What was the result?
- What can be learned from the experience
- The abstract title should convey the content of the abstract and must not contain product trade names.
- Please do not include any images or tables with your submission.
- References are optional and should be limited to no more than five.
- Judging will be performed after the PDF submission deadline (August 18) by members of the poster committee.
- Judging is based on these guidelines.
- Awards will be announced at conference during the Saturday business / awards meeting.